A Bit of History...

At the end of the eighteenth century (around 1798), the growing number of Acadians settled in Bathurst began to acquire land in the neighboring region which the natives called 'Petit Nipisiguit'. Today this area is known as the town of Beresford.

Our town was named in honour of William Carr Beresford, en English viscount and general. He was later knighted and became known as Lord Beresford. His name was given to our civil parish in 1814 and later to our municipality.

 

Vue aérienne

The village of Beresford was incorporated in 1967, on the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation. The population of the newly incorporated village was 1000. Wilfred Foulem was sworn in as the first mayor of the village of Beresford. He was later succeeded by Cleo Morrison who served two terms. Donald Arseneau, who was first elected in 1977, served as mayor of the village of Beresford during its last two complete terms.

On July 1st, 1984, Beresford became the 28th town of New Brunswick. Réal Boudreau who had been elected mayor by acclamation the previous year, became the first mayor of the town of Beresford. He remained in office for three consecutive terms. In 1995 he was succeeded by Raoul Charest who served five terms then handed off the reins in 2012 to present day Mayor Paul Losier.

Although Beresford is commonly considered to be a bedroom community because of its residential vocation, over one hundred businesses can be found here, most of which are located along rue Principale. It is the largest French-speaking community of the Chaleur Region with an official population of 4 351 (according to Statistics Canada's 2011 Census), the majority of whom are fluently bilingual.

The town hall, the fire station and the library are located in the Wilfred-A-Foulem Complex with the municipal garage right next door. The Cleo-Morrison Industrial Park has developped at a good pace and is presently home to approximately ten businesses. The Réal-Boudreau Centre, the town's arena, and the Beresford Beach are two first rate infrastructures which contribute to the popularity of the town.

Also available are tot lots, softball, baseball, soccer, tennis and curling. The Beresford Sports Association owns many of the facilities, including the Sportek Curling Club. 

We can safely say that our town remains true to its motto "Simul Crescere -Lets grow together", as it is continues to grow and develop.

The enthusiasm and drive of its citizens, volunteers and business community make Beresford a great place to live and do business.