Ville de Belle-Baie, Secteur Beresford


855-2 Principale Street, Beresford

Call us

(506) 542-2727

Town Planning Department

Description of the Service

The Town of Beresford shares a specialized planning and town planning service with the other municipalities in the Chaleur region (except Bathurst). This service ensures the application of the various decrees in force in our municipality. We advise you to visit the Regional Service Commission Website for a complete overview of this service as well as a wealth of information on various subjects relating to town planning.

Building Permit Applications

Do I need a building permit for this project?

Practically all development projects require a development and/or building permit. There are very few exceptions. It is therefore imperative to check with the Planning Department in all cases to determine whether a permit is required. Only the staff of the Planning Department can provide the correct information as each case is different and the regulations may vary depending on the location. Do not trust anyone else’s opinion in this matter.

Any project that is undertaken without a permit constitutes an offence under the Community Planning Act and is subject to legal procedures and penalties including demolition and/or fines. In addition, no electrical permit can be issued by the Department of Labour unless a copy of the development and/or building permit is presented.

While an owner may authorize another person, such as a contractor, to apply for and obtain a building permit in his name, it is the responsibility of the owner to ensure that a permit has been issued before any work is undertaken. This permit must be displayed prominently on the property for the duration of the construction period.

I bought an existing building. Do I need a permit to install it on my property?

The relocation of an existing building, whether it is a house, a mini home, a mobile home, a garage, a shed or any other type of building, is a development and requires the issuance of a permit to ensure that the project meets the existing zoning standards in relation to its size and height, the number of buildings on the same lot and setbacks from the street, the property lines, a watercourse, wetland, etc.

Which documents must I submit to the building inspector to obtain a building permit?

A building permit is therefore required before undertaking any development relating to a:

• Main building: ex. dwelling, commerce, industry, institutions, etc.;
• Secondary or accessory building: ex. garage, shed, etc.;
• Main construction: ex. billboards, wind turbines, etc.;
• Secondary or accessory structure: ex. gazebo, pool, fences, signs, etc.

It is also important to note that no building can be connected to the NB Power grid unless a building permit has been issued.

Different types of development also require the approval and the issuance of permits and certificates by other agencies before the inspector can issue the building permit. For example, any development in proximity of a watercourse may require a permit issued by the Department of Environment and Local Government. In the case of commercial and public buildings, it is possible that the plans will have to be reviewed by the fire marshal to ensure that they comply with the National Fire Code. The documents required for the issuance of a building permit vary for each locality and depend on the services in place.

If you are building within a municipality, you must provide the following documents:

Document required


Contact person

Construction plans

A copy of the construction plans drawn to scale and showing:

  • Foundation
  • Frame
  • Plans of each floor with size and proposed use of rooms

In the case of major projects, the plans must be drawn by an expert, either an architect or an engineer.

In the case of small buildings, you can draw the plans yourself or hire a technician or architect.

Certificate of connection to the water and sewer network

Document issued by the municipality informing the building inspector that the building can be connected to the water and sewer system and that the related costs have been paid

(506) 542-2727

Approval for the installation of a stand-alone sewage disposal and treatment system

(only applies in areas not served by a public sewer network)

The installer you have chosen must submit a request to the Public Security inspector.

A copy of the permit issued must be given to the building inspector.

Technical inspection service of the Ministry of Public Security
Tel .: 1-844-249-6533 (toll free)
Fax: (506) 457-7394

Permit to modify a watercourse and a wetland.

Anyone who intends to carry out work (construction, demolition, land clearing, landscaping, etc.) within 30 meters of a watercourse or wetland.

Regional office of the Department of Environment and Local Government in Bathurst
Phone. : (506) 547-2092

Fire Marshal Approval

Plans for the layout of buildings in certain public, commercial or industrial buildings must be reviewed by the fire marshal to ensure compliance with the Fire Code.

Office of the Fire Marshal
Phone. : (506) 444-4493
Fax: (506) 457-4899

Email address : or

Site plan for major projects

A copy of the site plan drawn to scale and showing the elements specified in the zoning by-laws.

Under the zoning by-laws, major development projects must be the subject of a site plan.

How long does it take to issue a building permit?

It all depends on the complexity of the project. In the case of an accessory building (shed, garage, fence), the building permit can be issued the same day. In the case of a house or a more complex building, the inspector must review plans before issuing a permit, this can take a few days. In some cases, a proposed development may require permits or certificates issued by other government agencies which can take several days, if not weeks. It is therefore recommended to apply as soon as possible to avoid any inconvenience that could delay the start of your construction.

How much do various planning services cost?

Services rendered in respect to the application of the Community Planning Act are subject to fees which are subsequently returned to the municipalities and unincorporated areas. The current rates are provided in the following schedule.

Can I appeal a decision of the Planning Department relating to a development or subdivision project?

Subject to the Community Planning Act any person who is denied a building permit or a proposed subdivision plan may appeal to the Assessment and Planning Appeal Board for a review. The same right is granted to anyone who wishes to object to the fact that the Planning Department has approved a development or a subdivision on another person’s property. For information regarding the grounds and the time limit for an appeal, you should consult the Community Planning Act and the Assessment and Planning Appeal Board Act, as well as the regulations arising therefrom.

You can contact the Assessment and Planning Appeal Board at 435 King Street, P.O. Box 6000, Fredericton, NB E3B 5H1, Telephone (506) 453-2126, Fax (506) 444-4881. email:

By laws

Municipal Plan
Zoning By-Law